top of page
  • Writer's pictureSports

MATCH REPORT: Hermes FC Vs Turriff United FC

Updated: Jun 9

Action from the first round of the Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup

By: Oliver Kennedy


A bitterly cold night at Lochside Park, Bridge of Don, saw Highland League outfit Turriff United FC travel down to face North Region Premier League leaders Hermes FC, in the opening round of the Aberdeenshire Cup, sponsored by Evening Express. The hosts, in their away kit to avoid a clash of colour, started the game with a bang, as striker Jack Craig gave Hermes the lead in the second minute. Hermes maintained their dominance, giving the Turriff defenders a headache as they tried to nullify the relentless attacks. A hard challenge in the 27th minute results in a yellow card for Turriff midfielder Jack McKenzie- remember this for later.

Against the run of play, Turriff advance to the Hermes box and Murray Cormack draws a fowl from the home keeper, giving Turriff a chance to equalise from the penalty spot. Attacking midfielder Reece McKeown stepped up and smashed the ball home, sending the keeper the wrong way and bringing the score level on the 37th minute. Just moments later, Hermes were back on the attack, with winger Andrew Davidson restoring the home side's advantage before the half time whistle blew.

After a warming round of teas, coffees, and bovrils, the steely fans were ready for another 45 minutes of action. The game restarted in a similar fashion, with hard challenges, long balls aiming to catch the defenders out and no margin for error. The defining moment of the game came in the 57th minute, when previously booked Jack McKenzie received another yellow for a late challenge, and subsequently his marching orders. In a moment of rage, a barrage of expletives towards the lineman earnt him a straight red- the first time I have ever seen a player receive two red cards in one game.

Now a goal and a man down, Turriff threw caution to the wind, making an attacking substitution. Hermes continued to defend well and looked dangerous on the counterattack. The home came close to a third on the hour mark, with a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box looping just over the cross bar. It looked like it was not to be for the away side, as Hermes finally pounced on their numerical advantage, with Andrew Davidson scoring his second, and Hermes’ third.

With just 10 minutes to go, Turriff would need two goals to take the tie to a penalty shootout. 90 minutes came and went, as the home fans waited anxiously for the referee to blow the full-time whistle. There would be enough time for a last Turriff United attack, which once again resulted in a penalty to the away side, converted by John Allan in the fifth minute of injury time.

Hearts raced at the prospect of a late Turriff comeback, but the referee blew his whistle the final time. A match laden with goals and drama ended 3-2 to Hermes, who progress to the next round. Turriff will head home disappointed, whilst Hermes can look forward to an away tie against Highland League side Fraserburgh FC.


bottom of page